Toolbars for Read Aloud
Some students may require more support than the ‘built-in’ accessibility.
Read & Write (DSA*) – Read and Write is a toolbar that sits on your computer screen and offers you support with reading. Almost all of the features of Read&Write are available in other software, but some people find it easier to have it all in one place, in a discreet toolbar. It will read aloud any page in any software and has a variety of voices. But it has many additional supportive features:
- Predictive text
- Select key passages and pull them from a text into a new document
- Compile lists of new vocabulary
- Extract text from an image
- Grammar and vocabulary checking
- Creation of MP3 (audio) files from text
- Mask or tint the screen with a colour
- Translate into another language
You can view a full tour of Read&Write features.
The University of St Andrews does not have a site licence for Read&Write, but students with a declared disability may be given Read&Write as part of their DSA assessment. If you think you may be eligible, please speak to a University disability adviser.